National Pit Bull Awareness Day (NPBAD) is a day of appreciation and education designed to change perceptions and stereotypes about pit bulls and their responsible owners. www.nationalpitbullawarenessday.org by Bless the Bullys
The ADBA knows first hand how difficult it can be owning or even saying you own an APBT. This is not the day to keep your dog hidden from the neighbors. We would like ALL dog owners to be extra active in promoting responsible ownership and dog bite prevention.
Here are 5 steps you can take today!
- Make sure your kennels, tethers and fencing are in good condition. See our page on Dog Containment
- Be aware of your dog’s behavior when you are not at home. If problems exist (such as charging the fence after the mailman or meter reader) deal with these problem situations to avoid an incidence when you are not around. Keep your dog contained at all times. Adhere to leash laws, licensing and rabies vaccination requirements.
- Get out and meet the neighbors! Take your APBT out for a walk and introduce them to your neighbors. Show off any tricks your dog may have to show how well behaved and trained they are. Be open to concerns that your neighbors might have about your dog and fix any problems before things get out of hand. Be available as a resource to other neighbors, and be the good example others can aspire to.
- Teach a child how to properly interact with all dogs. Education is the key to bite prevention!
- Have your dog Certified in the ADBA Safe Dog Program. This not only certifies that the dog has received adequate socialization and basic obedience training but also the owner has received education regarding dog psychology and responsible ownership with optional Temperament Test. Contact your local tester!
For more information on Responsible Ownership